Take a Visual Tour of St. Thomas
Enjoy a visual walk through our grounds and our beautiful church. We have a beautiful array of stained glass windows in the nave of the Church. You will find additional information about these windows along with individual photos of each panel by clicking on the following link: St. Thomas Windows
History of St. Thomas Episcopal Church
Top: A picture of our Chancel and Sanctuary. Bottom: A picture of our Choir loft.
The Early Years
St. Thomas was conceived in 1957 under the leadership and direction of the Right Rev'd. Randolph Clairborne, Bishop of the Diocese of Atlanta, and Rev'd. Colin Campbell, then rector of Trinity Episcopal here in Columbus. The diocese had deemed that Columbus needed another Episcopal church and in 1958 a group of Trinity Parishioners petitioned the Bishop to begin the work of building the new church and St. Thomas was formed.
St. Thomas' early years had humble beginnings. Organizing began in various locations ranging from parishioners homes to the old Trinity School. The original vestry was formed with Grover Willis Jr. serving as senior warden. The charter members of the church had many tasks on their hands, the most paramount being securing land and the services of a priest! At the very first official service on July 6, 1958 it was announced that land had been purchased on Hilton Avenue. St. Thomas sits on this land today. St. Thomas' first priest, Fr. Dewey Gable, newly ordained and newly relocated to Columbus from Britain, celebrated his first Sunday service on October 26, 1958.
LOCATION: 2100 Hilton Ave, Columbus GA 31906 SERVICES: Wednesday - 5:30 PM // Sunday - 8 AM & 10:30 AM OFFICE HOURS: 9am-2pm M-F P: (706)324-4264 E: email@example.com